Thursday, June 9, 2011

A combined journal - a proposal

Here's what I'm thinking.

I think it'd be awesome to have a group who already know one another, who are smart, who don't necessary agree with one another but have debated before, to write a journal about different topics, in the same place. Now, in the past we've kinda done that, but...
  • With Slashdot, I think it's safe to say we were all fighting Slashcode to get the conversation going.
  • With Multiply, it's very invitation-lead and not terribly open. On top of that, quite honestly, it became hard to have a discussion in an environment in which just finding out what people were writing became a chore.
I'm thinking it can be a mix of topics. What I'd like to see are:
  • Reviews
  • Fiction (of all types)
  • Political, economic, social, etc commentary
  • Personal stories
while avoiding stuff that just puts people's back up (for examples of the latter, read my blogs ;-) For example, a discussion on the quagmire Republicans are having in terms of electing a candidate who will represent them given the insane political times we're in is perfectly fine. But "OMG, did you see what Palin said THIS TIME? LOL!" is better kept in one's personal blogs.

Now, I'm proposing doing this on Blogger, for several reasons:
  • It's a fairly decent, stable, blogging platform, and it's free.
  • It supports multiple contributors
  • There's no convoluted registration process
  • Anyone can comment on JEs
Possible concerns:
  1. You may feel this idea just sucks. You'd never read it, and even if you did, you'd never contribute. If so, PLEASE say why! This is just a proposal, it's what I have in mind, it's not final or anything.
  2. It's in the wrong place, you'd prefer Wordpress, or LiveJournal, or... go ahead, propose something!
  3. Man these JalapeƱo-Jack Sun Chips are good.
  4. I don't know, commenting policy?
  5. I want to know if Sarah Palin says something stupid damn it, it's not as if I'd find out anywhere else.
  6. It's a horrible, horrible, idea and I'm a horrible person for proposing it.
Let me know either way anyway. Nothing above is set in stone. Please forward to others in the circle, as not everyone follows me.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Replies are welcome, but be aware comments are moderated. Be friendly, on-topic, and all of the things I'm not!